Share the Joy of Cooking..!
So after a long holidays to India, I am back with all new recipes and new segment. Rice needs no introduction, Rice is mostly consumed by Asian countries people. Different countries have different varieties of rice. Rice is a very versatile grain. It can be eaten just steamed or you can add some spices to made it more flavorful. One such ingredient is coconut. Coconut rice is a dish prepared by soaking white rice in coconut milk or cooking it with coconut flakes. Coconut and rice are commonly found in the tropics all around the world, coconut rice too is found in many cultures throughout the world. In Chinese Cuisine and Thai Cuisine, sweet coconut rice is very popular as a dessert or side dish.
In India, coconut rice is very popular in the southern region. It is usually made from Basmati Rice with mild coconut flavors acquired from coconut milk and commonly served with curries. There can be many variations to this recipe.The recipe which I am sharing with you is my version of coconut rice. It can be eaten both as a side dish or in the main dish. In this recipe, the flavorful Basmati rice is mixed with coconut milk and cooked until the rice is cooked soft and fluffy.
So here is my coconut rice recipe below:-
Preparation Time:- 5 minutes Standing Time:- 10 minutes
Cooking Time:-10-15 minutes Total Time:- 20 minutes
Number of Servings:- 2 - 3 persons
1 cup = 250 ml
½ cup = 125 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
½ teaspoon = 2.5 ml
¼ teaspoon = 1.25 ml
1. Rice:- 1 cup (Basmati Rice)
2. Coconut Milk:- 1/2 cup (thin variety)
3. Water:- 1 and 1/2 cup
4. Sugar:- 1 tablespoon
5. Salt:- 1/2 teaspoon
1. Wash the rice in the cold water and keep it in the open vessel in which you will cook the rice.
2. Now in the bowl, mix coconut milk, water, sugar and salt together. When completely mixed, add the mixture to the vessel where you have kept the rice to cook. Stir the uncooked rice and coconut and water properly. (Do not worry it will not sweeten your rice, it will bring all the flavors out of the coconut and rice.)
3. Now switch on the stove and cook the rice on a medium-high without covering with the lid. When maximum water is evaporated and little bubbles are visible over the rice, at that point of time, cover the vessel with the lid and lower the stove to low, and cook it for next 5 minutes.
4. After 5 minutes, switch off the stove and let it stand for another 10 minutes without opening the lid of the vessel.
5. After 10 minutes open the lid of the vessel, and fluff the rice with the help of one fork. Your coconut rice is ready to be served with your main course.
Share the Joy of Cooking..!Note:-
1) If you want to use jasmine rice instead of Basmati rice you can go for it. It will taste equally good.
2) If you want to reduce the sugar amount you can reduce to 3/4 tablespoon.
Serving Tip:- It goes very well with any type of rich tomato based gravy.
Calorie Reference per person:-
Do try my recipe and leave for comments below. Till then Happy Cooking.!
relishsavour.com by Madhurima Roy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License