Today I am bringing to you yet another very famous and much-loved recipe by many of us. It is Indian Rajma recipe.This recipe comes from Northern India.Earlier this recipe was generally cooked during winter, as it is rich in carbohydrates and protein, to keeps the body warm. But nowadays people relish this dish throughout the year. The Rajma Curry is most enjoyed with steamed rice. But it also goes very well Indian Bread (naan, roti, parathas) This dish is mostly prepared in every house in Northern India.
It is prepared with Red Kidney Beans with the blend of other Indian Spices. Earlier Kidney Beans were imported from Mexico. But now it is produced in the regions of Himachal Pradesh. Red Kidney Beans is a very versatile seed, from it, wraps are made which is known as Mexican Wraps throughout the world. In India, kidney beans curry is prepared which is called Rajma Curry. In this recipe, generally, the kidney beans are perfectly boiled, then cooked in tomato and onion gravy in slow flame with other flavourful spices.
The recipe which I am sharing is easy yet delicious. It comprises of boiled kidney beans cooked in tomato and cashew nut gravy, giving it a nutty flavor to the dish. So let's get cooking.
Preparation Time:- 8-10 hours Cooking Time:- 1 hour Total Time:-11 hours
Servings:- 4-5 persons
1. Red Kidney Beans:- 250gms
2. Tomatoes:- 4 large
3. Cashewnut:- 8-9
4. Ginger:-1 inch long
5. Green Chilli:- 2-3
6. Bay Leave:- 2-3
7. Turmeric Powder:- 1/2 teaspoon
8. Chilli Powder:- 1 teaspoon
9. Coriander Powder:- 2 teaspoon
10. Cumin Powder:- 1 teaspoon
11. Garam Masala:- 1/2 teaspoon
13. Dry Mango Powder/Amchur Powder:- 1 teaspoon
14. Dried Pomegranate Seed/Anardana:- 1/2 teaspoon(Optional)
15. Cilantro/Coriander:- 2 tablespoon
16. Vegetable Oil:- 2 Tablespoon
17. Salt to taste
18. Fresh Cream:- for garnishing
19. Ginger Juliennes:- for garnishing
1. Wash the kidney beans thoroughly, and soak them for minimum 8 hours or overnight. The beans should be fully covered with water.
2. Now take a pressure cooker, and transfer the bean in it. Add water, salt and bay leaves, cover the lid and cook till 4-5 whistles or until the kidney bean is soft but not mushy. (Don't forget to wash the beans once before cooking).
3. Soak cashew nuts in warm water for 10-15 minutes and diced tomatoes, Put tomatoes, cashew nuts, green chilies and ginger in a blending/grinding jar and grind it to smooth paste.You can add 1/2 cup of water while grinding.
4. In a large frying pan, add oil, once it is hot, add the tomato and cashew nut gravy. To that add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder, Mix well and cook the tomatoes for 3-4 minutes. The oil should separate from the tomato puree.
5. Now add the cooked kidney beans to the tomato gravy, mix well. At this point add salt if needed. As salt is already added to the beans while boiling it. Cover the lid and cook it in a slow flame for 10 minutes. ( If the gravy is too thick you can add 1 cup of water and simmer it for 10 minutes).
6. After 10 minutes open the lid and add garam masala, dry mango powder, anardana and coriander to the gravy. Give it a good mix, cover and cook for last 2 minutes. After 2 minutes switch off the flame. Take out in a serving bowl and garnish it with fresh cream and ginger Juliennes.
7. Your mouthwatering Rajma Curry/ Red Kidney Beans Curry is ready to be served hot.
1. Those who are living outside India, you can all spices in Indian stores.
2.If you wish to use store bought tomato puree, you can use it.In that case, you have to only grind cashew nuts, ginger and green chilies with little water. The rest of the process is same. Add tomato puree first and then add the cashew nut paste.
3. You can add water, according to the consistency you want.
4. If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can cook it using a heavy bottom pan for 45 minutes to 1 hour approximately with the lid on. In that case, you have to add extra water. In between, if you feel the water is not enough you can add more while cooking.
Serving Tip:- Serve Rajma Curry with hot steamed rice or Indian bread( roti, naan, paratha.)