Today's recipe is Gobhi Matar (Cauliflower and peas tossed in coconut gravy).This is a vegan dish. In India, this dish comprises of cauliflower, peas, and potatoes cooked in mild spices. Many times we want to eat simple yet tasteful. At that time you can prepare this recipe in less than 30 minutes. In many countries, cauliflower is mostly steamed or baked or cooked as a one-pot dish. It is cooked with pasta and spaghetti also. But in India, a dish prepared from cauliflower is eaten as aside dish with rice or Indian bread (roti, pulka). There are more than 15 dishes made from cauliflower in India including main dish and starter.
So here is my recipe for Gobhi Matar below.
Preparation Time:- 5 minutes Standing Time:- 5 minutes Cooking Time:- 20 minutes
Total Time:- 30 minutes
Number of Serving:- 3 - 4 persons
1cup = 250 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
½ teaspoon= 2.5 ml
1) Cauliflower:- 1 medium size about 600 grams
2) Green Peas:- ¾ cup
3) Yogurt:- 2 tablespoons (beaten and at room temperature)
4) Coconut Milk:- ¾ cup
5) Ginger Paste:- 1 teaspoon
6) Kashmiri Chili Powder:-1 teaspoon (the non-spicy variety)
7) Red hot chili Powder:- 1 teaspoon (you can reduce the amount according to the taste)
8) Sugar:- 1 teaspoon
9) Bay Leave:- 1- 2 Nos.
10) Black Whole Peppercorns:- 10 -12
11) Green Cardamom:- 3 - 4
12) Clove:- 3 - 4
13) Garam Masala Powder:- ½ teaspoon
14) Green Chilies:- 2 (optional)
15) Oil:- 1 + 2 tablespoon
16) Ghee (Clarified butter):- ½ teaspoon
17) Water:- 1½ cups
18) Salt to taste
1. Cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets. wash it at least 2 - 3 times in a running water. This is necessary to get rid of any types of pests if there is any. Heat a non-stick pan and add 1 tablespoon oil in it. Once hot add the florets to it. And fry till little golden brown. (You don't have to cook the florets completely as it will cook in the gravy.)
2. Add 2 tablespoon of oil in the same pan and add bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, green cardamom and ginger paste to the pan. Saute for a minute.
3. Add salt, sugar, red chili powder, Kashmiri red chili powder yogurt to the pan saute till the oil float over the yogurt.
4. Add coconut milk to the pan. Add the florets to the pan and toss well.
5. Add water, peas and green chilies to the pan, mix well and cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes. The flame should be on a medium flame.
6. After 15 minutes open the lid and check the cauliflower, it should be soft enough but not mushy and the water should have been reduced to less than half. Add garam masala and ghee to the pan. Mix well and switch off the flame. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Your Gobhi Matar is ready to be served.
* If you are using frozen peas, in that case, you have to boil the peas before adding to the recipe. For that, boil 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt, add peas to it and boil for 2-3 minutes. (If the size of the peas is small then 2 -3 minutes and if the size of the peas is big then 5 minutes.) Don't throw that water, it can be used in the recipe itself.
Serving Tip:- It can be served with India Bread like roti, paratha, puri or pilaf.
Do try my recipe and leave your comments below. Till then happy cooking.!