Today’s recipe is Chicken Curry. This recipe is from the city of Nawabs, Lucknow, India. There are many recipes from the kitchen of Nawabs which are continued to be cooked till today. This one is one of those. There are many variations of this recipe, But this one is my take on it.
This recipe has a very rich flavor and aroma. First I have cooked the chicken in the garam masala and minimum spices then added yogurt and cashew nut paste to it. And added green chilies before switching off the flame. The Garam Masala used in this recipe will give a nice taste and cashew nut paste will give texture and body to the gravy. This recipe goes very well with naan, pilaf or just steamed rice.
Chicken gives a high amount of energy in the form of protein. If taken with cooked vegetables and rice, It can be served as a complete meal.
So here is my recipe:-
Preparation Time:- 10 minutes Cooking Time:- 50 minutes Total Time:- 1 hours
Number of Serving:- 4 -5 persons
1 cup = 250 ml
½ cup = 125 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
½ teaspoon = 2.5 ml
¼ teaspoon = 1.25 ml
1) Chicken:- 1 kg
2) Yogurt:-½ cup
3) Cashew Nuts:- 15 - 20
4) Ginger Paste:- 1 teaspoon
5) Garlic Paste:- 1 teaspoon
6) Green Chili:- 3 -4
7) Bay Leaves:- 1 -2 Nos.
8) Cinnamon stick:- 1 inch
9) Cloves:- 4
10) Green Cardamon:- 3
12) Turmeric Powder:- ½ teaspoon
13) Red Chili Powder:- 1 ¼ teaspoon
14) Coriander Powder:- 1 teaspoon
15) Garam Masala:- ½ teaspoon
16) Kasuri Methi:- ¼ teaspoon (dried fenugreek leaves)
17) Lemon Juice:- ½ teaspoon
18) Oil:- 4 tablespoon
19) Water:- 1 ½ cups
20) Onions:- 3 medium sized ( thinly sized)
1) Wash and clean the chicken pieces in the running water. keep it aside.
2) Now heat oil in a non-stick pan. Once the oil is hot, add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves and peppercorns to the pan. Saute for 30 seconds. Add sliced onions, ginger paste, and garlic paste saute for 2 minutes. Or till the raw flavor of ginger and garlic has gone.
3) Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and, salt to the pan. Add 1/2 cup of water so that the spices don't burn. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
4) Add the chicken pieces to the pan. Toss for 6 -7 minutes over high flame. Cover in between.
5) Take yogurt and cashew nut in a grinder, grind it into a fine paste. Add the paste to the chicken. Mix it well.
6) Add water to the pan. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Cook over medium flame.
7) After 30 minutes add green chilies and garam masala to the pan. Mix it and cover it again for another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes add Kasuri methi, lemon juice and, check for seasoning. The chicken should be cooked till now and the gravy should be reduced. Switch off the flame And give chicken the standing time for 5 minutes.
8) Take it out in a dish and serve hot.
Your mouthwatering chicken curry is ready to be served.
* People living outside India, and not aware of all the Indian spices, you will mostly get all the spices in the Indian stores near your place.
Serving Tip:- Serve chicken curry with India Bread like roti, paratha, naan or steamed rice.
Do try my recipe and leave for comments below. Till then Happy Cook.!
r-elish.blogspot.ch by Madhurima Roy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License