Today's recipe is Anda Palak Butter Masala (Egg Spinach Butter Gravy). This is the perfect recipe if you are looking for some non-vegetarian option and you are running short of meat or fish. Or a perfect dish to impress your sudden and untimely guests. In India, generally, a dish made out of eggs is very underrated when it comes to serving to the guests. So this recipe is ideal to serve to your guest or when you want to eat something different. In India, due to so vast diversity in eating habits, there are more than 15 varieties of egg dishes. Different states have their own egg dishes.
Chicken, eggs are mainly used as sweet and savory dishes. It is used in bakeries to make cakes, pastries, cookies, biscuits, puff pastries, tarts etc. Most people consume eggs in the breakfast which includes hard boiled eggs, poached eggs, omelets, scrambled eggs fried eggs etc. But in India, it is mostly included for lunch or in a diner. Eggs are a great source of energy which is rich in protein, vitamins and omega 3.
This recipe is a complete meal as you will get protein and omega 3 from eggs and spinach will provide iron to you. In this recipe, the hard-boiled eggs are tossed with spinach, butter, and almond milk. The spinach and spices in this recipe will give color and taste to the dish, and butter and almond milk will add texture and silkiness to the recipe.
So here is the recipe as follows:-
Preparation Time:- 15 minutes Standing Time:- 10 minutes Cooking Time:- 30 minutes Total Time:- 55 minutes
Number of Servings:- 4 - 5 persons
1 cup = 250 ml
1/1 cup = 125ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1) Hard Boiled Eggs:- 5 in nos.
2) Spinach Puree:- 1 1/2 cups ( You can use frozen spinach puree also)
3) Tomato Puree:- 1/2 cup
4) Almond Milk:- 1/2 cup
5) Yogurt:- 2 tablespoons ( should be at room temperature)
6) Ginger Paste:- 1 teaspoon (heap full)
7) Garlic Paste:- 1 teaspoon (heap full)
8) Cinamon Stick:- 1/2 inch piece
9) Green Cardamom:- 2-3
10) Clove:- 2-3
11) Cumin powder:- 1/2 teaspoon
12) Coriander powder:- 1 teaspoon
14) Tumeric Powder:- 1/2 teaspoon
15) Kashmiri Chili powder:- 1 teaspoon (the non-spicy variety)
16) Hot Chili powder:- 1 teaspoon
17) Garam Masala Powder: 1 teaspoon
18) Sugar:- 1/2 teaspoon (You can add honey instead of sugar, I used sugar today)
19) Salt:- 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
20) Dried Fenugreek Leaves(Kasuri Methi):- 1/2 teaspoon
21) Green Cardamom Powder:- 1/4 teaspoon
22) Butter:- 2 + 1 tablespoon
23) Cream:- 2 + 1 tablespoon
24) Water:- 1 cup
1. Blanch 500 grams of spinach, cool it and make it into a puree with a help of some water. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter into the pan, once hot add cinnamon stick, green cardamom, cloves, ginger, and garlic paste to it. Fry them for 1 minute or until the raw flavor of garlic has gone.
2) Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, hot chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder to the pan and saute. Add little water to avoid burning of masalas.
3) When the oil is separated from the tomato puree, add the beaten yogurt to it. Mix well. Mix well and fry for a minute or two.
4) Now add Spinach puree, almond milk, and water to the pan. Mix well. Cook it on a slow flame for 20 minutes. Do not cover the pan as all the nutrients will be lost from the spinach.
5) Peel the shells of hard-boiled eggs. Now heat one tablespoon of oil in a small pan. Make cuts in the boiled eggs with a help of a knife and add them to the oil. Fry them till light golden brown. Keep them aside.
6) After 20 minutes add the fry eggs, cream, sugar/honey, dried fenugreek leaves and cardamom powder to the pan mix well. Cook for 1 minute on high flame so that all the spices are mixed well. Switch off the flame and give 5 minutes of standing time.
7) Before serving, garnish it with some drizzle of cream and 1 tablespoon of butter.
Your mouthwatering dish is ready to be served.
Serving Tip:- Serve hot with any type of India Bread like roti, paratha, naan or pilaf.
* If you cant find almond milk, you can make it at home. Soak 12 -15 almonds for 30 minutes. grind it with 1/2 cup of water. Your almond milk is ready. If you want you can strain it through a fine sieve to avoid big pieces of almond.
* This recipe is less spicy, so you can increase spiciness according to your taste by adding hot red chili powder or 1 teaspoon of green chili paste.
Do try my recipe and leave your comments below. Till then happy cooking.!